Summer Storms, Airline Flight, and YOU as Captain.

Well that’s going to be trouble, your air sense tells you as you wing westbound.

Because you have to turn around and come back once you reach LAX–and this stuff, you can feel it: it’s growing. In a few hours, it will stand between you and “homeplate”–DFW for you–and it will be your job to thread the needle between, above and around the towering wall of what will be full-blown thunderheads by the time you return.

But the weather-guessers say the storms will stay south and west of the Jethroplex, right?

Yeah, my ass. Sorry–been fooled before. Now, we deal with gut feel and radar. Forecasts? Farther out than a couple hours–pretty well useless. Keep flying.

LAX, first stop: got to have a cup of the strong Brioce Bakery coffee. Kind of crave it flying to LAX. Westbound passengers happily herding off; First Officer about his business on the ramp, catering, cleaners. You?

Stout cup of Brioce and radar, your best friend. Which helps you set up your next best friend: jet fuel.

But here’s where your air sense–and 17,000 flight hours–comes in: the storms forming up and marching west to east aren’t really a front passage. Rather, they’re a boundary collision that the cold front is barely strong enough to move. Those storms will stagnate wherever they form–my best guess–so there’s not going to be a quick close-then-open, 40-50 minutes of holding.

Hedge your bets: approach from the northwest in fact, route north over Albuquerque and see if you can beat the frontal passage, or be positioned to slip in immediately after. Plus, from behind the squall, all of your divert options will have a clear path. So in this case, northern route, an hour of holding fuel, see how it plays out.

The first round of bad news comes up on the data link printer in Arizona: “0300 DFW tempo 1ovc tstm lgtctcctg 34012g25 29.77 prsfr.”

Duh: “airport expecting one hundred overcast around 10pm in thunderstorms lightning cloud to cloud, cloud to ground; winds from the north gusting to 25, surface pressure falling rapidly.”

Trouble in front of the front. Cross the Rio Grunge eastbound, nice tailwind rocketing the aluminum tube across the ground at 500+ miles per hour.

My F/O is smart, sharp, quick. A good asset in forming a plan, then a backup, then another. I like options. I choose my words carefully: “Hey, you want any coffee? I’m buying?”

I like the way Angela makes coffee, the old-fashioned DC-10 technique: a splash of club soda on the bottom of the pot before brewing–eases the acidity, gives a smooth flavor. Hell, no rush here–I hate redoing stuff. The radar picture won’t be too well defined until about 300 miles out, even better at 160. Have a cup of Boeing brew and relax.

Okay, now we’ve got something to work with. Did I mention how much I love the 737-800 radar? It has its own GPS system, always plotting where it is–and it knows the terrain everywhere it finds itself and miracle: it screens out ground clutter–and does its own tilt for each range. What you see is what’s there–how cool and smart is that?

This picture is looking southeast. The blob over HIKAY is the nasty storm cell headed for the airport. As I figured, we’ll either beat it, or the airport will close–and it did as we approached 100 miles out. We expected that.

The good news is that we’re assigned a holding pattern over Wichita Falls. Sheppard has a couple of long runways and jet fuel available. Once we’re established in holding at 33,000 feet–a good altitude for fuel economy–I call the Sheppard tower on another radio: how late are you open tonight? How late is the fueler open?

Eleven o’clock for the tower, all night for the fueler. It’s just after 10pm. We’ve got fuel for 40, maybe 50 minutes of holding, then we need about 4,000 pounds to fly north to Oklahoma City.

But we’re right on top of Wichita falls/Sheppard. I can see it–perfect weather. No additional fuel for the divert–we just spiral down.F/O concurs. We start setting up navaids, approaches.

Our holding racetrack--right over an excellent divert spot.

DFW approach updates the airport re-opening projection: midnight.

The mass exodus begins from various holding stacks because no one has that much loiter fuel. Most on the north side are heading for Oklahoma City.  “Put Wichita Falls on request,” I tell the F/O, as we continue all divert prep and logistics with our dispatcher in Fort Worth.

We exit the holding stack northbound with a descent clearance, all of the divert notifications and nav system reprogramming done, approach briefed–we’re way ahead. The winking lights of two jets above us in the pattern suggest what I’d be thinking if I were them: “Smart bastards–first into Sheppard, first for fuel, first out.”


Sheppard Approach: “Plan runway 33 center.”

Me: “Unable.” The center runway is 150 feet wide; our wingspan is around 130. The left runway is 300 feet wide–but the Air Force is using it for night traffic patterns in my ex-girlfriend:

Tough darts, wingnuts: when it was me in the Air Force flying the White Rocket, I’d have said tell the civilians to get lost–we’re busy here. Now, with 160 passengers and a crew of 7 on board, I think differently.

I’m doing the math, checking the descent rate and speed and distance–it’s all coming together nicely, “in the slot” as we say. Over the threshhold, follow the HUD cues projected before me on the glass; little narrow-gauge skid marks from smaller jets slide under the nose, then touchdown.

Clear the runway, set the brakes for a minute–whip out my cell phone and call the fueler, “Landmark Aviation.”

“How much fuel do you need,” asks a friendly voice. We have 5,800 pounds on board, I’d wag 3,000-4,000 to get to DFW, 3,000-4,000 more for delays. Plus some more thousands for peace of mind and the unexpected, two factors that usually don’t work well together.

“We need 12,000.”

“No problem, taxi on down.”

Tight maneuvering on narrow taxiways and a small transient ramp, but slowly, carefully, watching the wingtips–we park. I see the lights of two other airliners approaching from the south. Hah! The fuel truck is already here.

First Officer is outside, doing the exterior inspection. I’m on the phone with dispatch for a clearance plan, on the radio with tower for a proposed launch window, then with DFW approach for an expected route, then the phone again for current DFW weather.

My fuel guess is pretty good: dispatch wants us to have 15,000 pounds of fuel–we have 17,500. I love jet fuel.

Me signing for six tons of jet fuel.

Behind us, a Super-80 waits, an Airbus waiting behind him. I chat with the MD-80 captain in the quaint Wichita Falls terminal–he needs to have flight plan faxed to him; we printed ours on our on-board data link printer. I considered for a moment suggesting the dispatch send his to our jet, but I’m not even sure that’s possible. And we’re ready to blast off.

Supposedly, the terminal folks are on their way back and they’ll fire up the FAX machine for him and his 140 passengers. Too bad you ain’t on the Boeing, I thought but didn’t say.

Carefully, point by point, we check our route, then our performance data. Never mind that it’s nearly midnight, 11 hours into our workday–every single detail will be checked. I will see and he will crosscheck every number put into the performance system.

We start engines, a ground man pulls the chocks and salutes: clear to go.

I have a better idea. We sit with brakes parked and accomplish all pre-takeoff checklists so that I don’t have divided attention taxiing out over the mini-sized taxiways.

Tower clears us for take-off. One last check of numbers–the runway, the rotate speed, the weight, the power setting, all check out. Stand up the throttles, all exterior lights on, punch the take-off power button on the throttles and she leaps forward with a growl.

Off the nose, black sky, more storms; cloud to cloud and cloud to ground lightning weaving a brilliant latticework to the south, where we’re going. Dead ahead, more spot decisions, plans, backups, numbers, radar and ultimately, maybe a cup of coffee to go for the drive home once we navigate the weather gauntlet.

But nothing’s set in stone; we’ll just see what’s what when we get to DFW. The coffee and DFW will just have to wait, but I’m patient, and careful. All in good time–despite all pressures to the contrary, all passenger and crew urgency, fatigue; I tune it all out. Every step carefully, thoughtfully–that’s what summer flying is all about.

Quite a light show in the DFW terminal area, and the hurdles spring up one by one, then in droves. Weird, but I kind of like the challenge. But that’s another story.

18 Responses to “Summer Storms, Airline Flight, and YOU as Captain.”

  1. Regarding your on-board radar: is the transmitter on the aircraft or are you getting a product from surface stations? Curious how you can get 0.5 degree tilts when your transmitter is at 30,000 feet! Or, are you just getting the various tilts relative to your current altitude? Hard to tell also what product you are looking at–is that base reflectivity or storm relative velocity?. I do love the GPS over radar feature, we also use it and it sure makes life easier. Thanks for your blog and for answering all my questions!

    • The radar bases the tilt on the range, target, and topography. It’s an on-board radar dish, aimed by the computer. You can take over manually, but it does a better job with both calibration and tilt. We typically leave it in the “wx+ turbulence” mode, adding the computer-assisted and calculated windshear prediction and detection.

      When the radar detects windshear on its own, even if I’m showing terrain on my primary flight display, it pops up with the radar display–including a clear path escape corridor.

      I don’t know of any aircraft with ground-based radar–it wouldn’t/couldn’t be oriented to our ever changing flight path. Plus, ground radar doesn’t have nearly the scope of one mounted 5 to 7 miles up.

       Chris

      Sent from my iPhone, so please pardon the typos.

      • Very true! Thanks for the explanation. The CAT application is very cool, I was aware of the NOAA product but not that you had on-board capability. Nice!

      • Yes and it gets better: all American Airlines jets have WAGS: Windshear Alert And Guidance System. Our radar talks to windshear and flight guidance computers to detect both kinds of windshear and then generate warnings and escape pitch guidance for display on both sides.

        Nice to have cutting edge technology in the cockpit heading into the terminal area.

         Chris

        Sent from my iPhone, so please pardon the typos.

  2. I think it might be time to switch to AA!

  3. Tony Dominguez Says:

    Got hit by those storms late last night here in SAT too. I run the LiveATC feed for SAT and I usually tune in when there’s bad weather in the area (lately that’s been rare) . Had a CRJ7 coming in from ORD just as the storms were moving past the airport and it was very interesting listening to him go thru his options and taking into consideration his max tailwind for landing (10kts). Tried to land on 12R but wind was too strong so he went around. Then he came back on 12R and swung around for 30L but there was a strong cell over there so he punched it back around. Finally the winds died down enough and swung around so he could land back on 12R…. Landed safely but I was just thinking “man I wonder what’s going thru all those PAX minds after all that”

    Awesome post Chris! I never miss a single one!

    • Thanks!

      That’s where I left off in my story. DFW ATIS said landing south, but approach was assigning north runways. Okay, swapped all the approach courses. On final, the wind on 35 is 130 at 18. Borderline for us–then moderate chop and plus or minus 15 knots on final.

      Could be a developing microburst–so we go around, then teardrop for a south landing.

      Summer requires a pilot’s A game.

  4. Scott W. Says:

    Hey Captain, just ran across your blog and I’m still reading your older posts and I must say, they are very enjoyable reading. I’m a Controller at ZFW, I used to work the UKW corner post and now work the BYP corner. It’s nice to see the perspective from your side of things again!! I sure miss the Jump Seat privileges, it was a great learning tool. I like your picture of the UKW STAR, I know it well. We have had a ruff couple of nights around here, but the rain is welcome. Look forward to ready more of your posts.

    • Welcome. And you must know one of my Embry-Riddle colleagues and your NATCA rep, Danielle. Miss hearing her on freq, but she’s on to bigger and better things!

      • Scott W. Says:

        Yep, I know her well. I just left the Traffic Management Unit and she just went into the Traffic Management Unit, we used to work together on the UKW corner post. Next time you’re over FSM or LIT inbound to DFW, give me a shout. First ZFW sector after LIT, my initials are (OD).

      • Will do–heading for LaGarbage Friday afternoon.

         Chris

        Sent from my iPhone, so please pardon the typos.

  5. Captain,

    It’s posts like this that make me upset to think some pilots get paid so very little…particularly at the beginning.

    You have to do so much, constantly…all for our safety.

    I liked seeing things from your eyes…Honestly, I don’t know if I could do this everyday. 🙂

  6. Great post Chris, love it!

    The weather in PER tonight was pretty rough with 60 kts at 250 feet at one point, heavy showers, lightning, the full monty! Plenty of holding going on to the S and SE as the weather came in from the SW, most at FL150 to 190.

    All very interesting on the LiveATC feed, so reading your post just now was most appropriate!

    BTW, my trip to Melbourne got extended by the Chilean volcano ash cloud, had to stay another 24 hours 🙂 Great flights there and back though with thoughts of your posts going through my mind and a copy of Australian Aviation at hand – a great way to spend the day.


  7. Great read–So it sounds like from one of your replies that you did in fact make it into DFW? Would love to hear the end of the story from your perspective in the next post!

  8. Speaking of summer storms…there was a doozer in YOW yesterday. My hubby’s flight just made it in (they were almost diverted to YUL). Unfortunately they had to wait 2 hours to get off the plane. I’ve never seen that airport so busy with parked planes!!! 🙂

    • It’s always hard to know what to do in Canada: many of the runways aren’t grooved (YYZ, YUL) so even though rain has ended, pooling on the runway can be a major factor in stopping. Glad everything worked out!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: